Friday, December 4, 2009

Let's Start from the very Beginning. That's a very good place to Start...

It's something that's been stirring. It's been stirring in my heart for years. The passion to help, to reach out to those who need help, to be the hands and feet of Christ. It's more than a stirring. It's a burning. It's a passion. I feel it in my heart. I have for years. I think that is one of the main reasons I went into nursing. I feel that I help people in my job now, but ... it's not the same. It's not the kind of help that I feel called to do.

I've been reading the book "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. Talk about some stirring and passion! If reading this book doesn't get you motivated to get out there and change the world one person at a time I don't know what will. He redefines our thoughts as far as Jesus's life here on this earth, on what we are really called to do, on politics. Last night I was reading and he was talking about war and Iraq. I have always supported the war. Now, I don't know anymore.

Anyway - that is not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about last week. Our lifegroup has been feeling the stirring. We have been thinking, talking and plotting our next moves to help the poor. Last Wednesday I was thinking about how it was going to be seriously cold later in the week and where are all the homeless going to go. I suddenly got the idea that I wanted to open a homeless shelter. The thought seriously kept me up when I should have been sleeping in preperation for work! As soon as I got to work I finished up my tasks and charting and headed straight to the internet! I wanted to do what to do next. How do I do this thing?

Later on in the night I decided to read my book. I was reading about God's Economy and how Jesus asked us to give our stuff away:

"If you have two coats, one of them belongs to the poor." -Dorothy Day
"Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none." -Luke 3:11

Then the idea came to me! We all have about 10 jackets each! We have blankets all over our house. What if we go through our "crap" and give it away to the poor! I mean seriously, most of us won't even miss it! So I got super excited and sent out this email:

---It's going to be really cold tonight (Thursday.) What do you say we try to collect as many blankets and coats as we can and try to hand them out this afternoon/early evening to the homeless? I'm not sure where the tent city is, but Jesse may know or Diane or Jay. We don't have to go buy stuff, just extras we have around the house and we all know we do! Whatcha think? I have to sleep today - worked last night and tonight - but people could leave stuff on my porch, up at the church or bring it when they come to help distribute. We can meet at our house (around say ... 4ish?

"If you have two coats, one of them belongs to the poor." -Dorothy Day
"Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none." -Luke 3:11

If you are liking this idea would you forward it to our "peeps" please?

Thanks!---

I will say that I was pretty anxious about this. What if no one wants to participate? What if they think I'm crazy? What if people don't get the email in time? I tossed and turned all day and checked my phone for messages. I woke up early and checked my email and people were super excited about the idea! Seriously! Wow! We all met at our house and brought in tons of stuff! Tons of stuff that was our "excess!" Amazing! We sent the boys on a "scouting trip" to find the homeless people. We had general ideas, but nothing solid. Then we split into three groups to distribute. It was so exciting! I'll let everyone post their own stories from that night, but it was so neat!

This turned the burner up my passion for sure! What else could we do? Where do we go from here?

No comments: