Sunday, December 20, 2009

So I Might Be Crossing a Line Here ...

So, it irritates me when I see on the news or hear people talking about some poor animals that were saved from starvation or abuse. I know at this point you are thinking, "WHAT?!?!" so let me state why. How many PEOPLE in the world are starving? How many die each day? How many are abused? How many live without the basics of life? I agree that the animals shouldn't have to suffer and that they shouldn't be abused, but let's focus on people first. Before you write that big check to the SPCA think about how many PEOPLE could be fed for that amount. When we went to Honduras for the first time I was taken aback by the look of the animals. They were skin and bones, wondering the streets. "Look there's a cow! On the highway! Wait is that a cow? I didn't know they could be that skinny!" If people can't even feed themselves how are they going to feed their animals? It was one of the many culture shocks I experienced. Anyway - next time you see that news article or see some sad commercial about starving animals take time to think about something even more tragic: innocent children dieing every moment from lack of food and clean water. Which one do you think God would want our focus (or money for that matter) going to?

1 comment:

J said...

I couldn't agree more! I think that every time I see the commercial that asks you to 'be an angel for an animal in need.'